Tuesday, June 7, 2011

First Ever Blog!

Well, this is my first attempt at blogging. I love to knit, love to create things out of natural fibers. Since the birth of my son, my kntting has veered into making anything and everything for babies and toddlers. He is two now, and has worn the socks, hats, sweaters and mittens I have designed for him (sometimes not willingly!). I enjoy knitting small things, as they are finished quickly and so give me an immediate sense of accomplishment. He has inspired me to try new stitches and yarns, and even to expand my crafting into other areas.

Close up of the Yggdrasil Blanket I am making for Archon, my son. This is the first of 3 borders surrounding the central tree panel.

The ear flap hat I designed for my son because after making several beanie-type hats for him and getting frustrated when he would just rip them off, I added the flaps and ties so he couldn't take it off!


An example of one of my forays into another craft besides knitting. I hand-stitched the tunic and embroidered the neckline. I also hand stiched the breeches, which laced up, and made the simple leather belt, using a couple of tuxedo shirt studs as the closure. Archon was a Viking for Halloween last year, and I made his costume!

I am now learning to do screen printing and am dabbling in making beads. I'll be posting more info when I become more skilled!

For now, I will end this post with some words of advice: no matter how impossible it seems, it isn't. I can't count the number of times I have found myself stuck on a project, not sure how to make it look like I wanted, or sometimes not able to figure out how to make a certain stitch. Yet, sooner or later, inspiration strikes and the path forward is illuminated. There is always a way, you just need to find the patience (which is a huge challenge for me!) to allow it to find you.

No comments:

Post a Comment